The Asian Hockey Federation (AHF) in collaboration with the International Hockey Federation Academy (FIHA) is delighted to extend an invitation to all National Associations of Asia and Africa to nominate their umpires for the upcoming FIHA – AHF Level 3 Umpiring Course. Scheduled to take place from the 13th to the 17th of December 2023, the course will run concurrently with the 13th Men’s FIH Hockey Junior World Cup in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, spanning from the 5th to the 16th of December.
We express our sincere gratitude to the Malaysian Hockey Confederation for their generous hospitality and support in hosting this significant event.
The course, jointly organized by the Asian Hockey Federation and the Malaysian Hockey Confederation, will span four days, commencing on the evening of the 13th of December and concluding on the morning of the 17th of December 2023. Mr. Faiz Ahmed, FIHA Educator, FIH Umpires Manager, and Chairman of the Umpiring Committee at the Asian Hockey Federation, has been appointed as the course conductor.
Course Eligibility and Qualifications
To be eligible for the FIHA – AHF Level 3 Umpiring Course, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Nomination by the National Federation or direct call by the Continental Federation.
- Possess appropriate knowledge, skills, and experience in umpiring.
- Prior experience as an umpire in international or national-level events.
- Genuine interest in personal umpire development.
- Experience in presenting information to young and elite groups of umpires.
- Adoption of an interactive teaching approach.
- Open-minded, adaptable to change, welcomes feedback, and demonstrates a willingness to self-reflect.
- Commitment to officiate a specified number of matches per year, with a minimum of two matches.
Assessment Process and Desired Outcomes
Umpires attending the course will undergo formal assessments throughout, evaluating their readiness for future FIH Academy courses and potential selection to officiate international events and professional leagues.
Desired outcomes of the course include:
- Certification of up to 24 FIH Academy Level 3 Umpiring Certificates.
- Opportunities for entry into or advancement in the FIH Academy Certification and Accreditation System.
- Participation certificates for all attendees.
- Selection opportunities for future FIH and AHF events, as well as professional leagues.
Course Details and Participation Fee
The participation fee for the FIHA – AHF Level 3 Umpiring Course is USD 250, covering full lodging and boarding for four nights from the 13th to the 17th of December 2023. This includes a free entrance ticket to the 13th Men’s Junior World Cup in KL, Malaysia, transportation between the hotel, training venue, and stadium, course refreshments, and airport transportation (to be borne by participants).
Additional accommodation beyond the course dates is the responsibility of the participant.
The program includes:
- Opening ceremony and introductory meetings on the 13th of December 2023.
- Dinner with organizers and conductors.
- Presentations from course conductors, practical umpiring sessions, discussions, special presentations, and contributions from participants.
- Match analysis of the Men’s Junior World Cup matches using advanced methods.
- Official closing ceremony and presentation of participation certificates.
Only National Hockey Associations (NAs) affiliated with the FIH are invited to nominate a maximum of two umpires for participation in the FIHA Level 3 Umpiring Course. Applications must be received before the 29th of November 2023. NAs are encouraged to prioritize female candidates as part of the Women in Hockey initiative.
The course selection panel will consider applications, aiming to select the most experienced and qualified candidates with a diverse international representation.
We look forward to a successful and enriching FIHA – AHF Level 3 Umpiring Course and encourage all eligible umpires to seize this opportunity for professional development and international exposure.